• The bbqgeeks forum is moving to a new server! Posting will be closed until the move is complete.

Angel food cake

T

Tessa

I've got a fierce hankering for angel food cake, but store-bought angel food cakes aren't the same as a good old-fashioned homemade one. Problem is, I've yet to succeed at baking one! Anyone have any tips? What's the trick to making a moist, fluffy angel food cake?

B

Burg14

Wish I knew. Mine never turn out fluffy and moist. My gram used to make the best angel food cake. I wish I would have paid a little better attention when she was trying to teach me.

D

Diane Lane

I have made good ones, but not with this oven, which I probably wouldn't even use to make one. I think the success is due to the egg whites, they have to be whipped very well, and the bowl you whip them in has to be squeaky clean, without a hint of grease. Make sure you don't have any yolk in your egg whites, so the cake gets the lift it needs. You have to mix the ingredients slowly, not all at once, so they become properly incorporated. Tiptoe around the house, and don't open the oven door while the cake is cooking, or it could fall, so it's best not to bake it when people will be coming in and out, slamming doors and cabinets.

B

Burnt

This is one of the things in the kitchen that sometimes works for me and sometimes works against me. I have yet to figure out the exact science behind it. I doubt I am the only one either.