• The bbqgeeks forum is moving to a new server! Posting will be closed until the move is complete.

A weekend of firsts

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
So last week I was given a meat grinder /sausage stuffer attachment for the wife's kitchen aid. Got to love my families presents. Pork shoulder was on sale this week, so I picked one up, cut it into chunks, and grinded it down. Tossed in some butt rub, mixed it up. Tossed a small amount on a pan to test it out. Nice and spicy. Then I made some sausages.

Took about half the mix and used less seasoning so the kids could have something.

Left it in the fridge over night, and froze this morning.

Some of the casings broke when twisting. I need to get that part down, and get the air out of them better. I guess it is a learning process.

I also went to the garden this morning and got some cucumbers and okra. The okra I cleaned and froze. The cucumbers I made some bread and butter pickles, and the wife started one of my families recipes for dill pickles. Hers will actually be canned in jars, mine went right into the fridge.

Attachments

F

Frank

We have the sausage stuffing attachment also. We thought we would be using it over the winter, but we got into bread making instead. It's good to keep your eyes peeled for good buys for meat that can be used to make sausage and then freeze it.

S

SEA81

That sounds great! Where do you live that you are already getting okra and cucumbers? I'm in Atlanta, and it's too cold to plant them just yet. This is crazy, but I use my hand mixer to grind up meat. It gives it a great texture!

T

TopChef

You got a lot done!

My favorite attachment is my meat grinder. I never thought I would have a use for it, but I really love it. Sometimes I grind chicken to pair with ground beef for a delicious, but leaner meatloaf. Once in a while I grind round steak for a leaner, but tasty burger.

R

roses12roses12

Can you share your recipe and process for putting up the bread and butter pickles??? My daughter and I love them, and I am planning to grow cucumbers this year.

J

Jessi

Oooo, that's awesome!

I actually haven't gotten to use my stuffer attachment yet. I used the meat grinder a few times and absolutely love it, but just never got around to finding where I could buy the casings for stuffing.

I know sometimes they break and that's pretty normal while getting used to it, but do you have any tips on how to avoid it?

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
That sounds great! Where do you live that you are already getting okra and cucumbers? I'm in Atlanta, and it's too cold to plant them just yet. This is crazy, but I use my hand mixer to grind up meat. It gives it a great texture!
Central Florida. I start in February, which for some things I'm told is rather late. I was told to start corn seeds in January. I was given a green house this year, so I'm also hoping to grow year around soon.

The wife's pickles were taste tested last night by her friends, and they loved the flavor, but no crisp. She did not have any alum, so that may be the problem.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
You got a lot done!

My favorite attachment is my meat grinder. I never thought I would have a use for it, but I really love it. Sometimes I grind chicken to pair with ground beef for a delicious, but leaner meatloaf. Once in a while I grind round steak for a leaner, but tasty burger.
I'm going to look into chicken and turkey. Would love to make some burgers out of them and some sausages. I did pick up chuck and sirloin to make ground beef for burgers. I just have not gotten around to it yet. Really wondering if we need a bigger deep freezer now.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
Oooo, that's awesome!

I actually haven't gotten to use my stuffer attachment yet. I used the meat grinder a few times and absolutely love it, but just never got around to finding where I could buy the casings for stuffing.

I know sometimes they break and that's pretty normal while getting used to it, but do you have any tips on how to avoid it?

I may have over stuffed them. I'm looking into why they were breaking. Some people it looks like put less meat into them. I've seen some people pinch both ends and then twist. All seem to say that is the hardest part. Some trial and error on my part, I may get it down.

J

Jailynnsgrandma

You all are inspiring me. I would never think to make sausage, or even pickles. I am kind of boring when it comes to trying new things in the kitchen. I always worry about making a mistake and having them turn out badly. I would love to be more adventurous.

M

Mrs. Pirz

So last week I was given a meat grinder /sausage stuffer attachment for the wife's kitchen aid. Got to love my families presents. Pork shoulder was on sale this week, so I picked one up, cut it into chunks, and grinded it down. Tossed in some butt rub, mixed it up. Tossed a small amount on a pan to test it out. Nice and spicy. Then I made some sausages.

Took about half the mix and used less seasoning so the kids could have something.

Left it in the fridge over night, and froze this morning.

Some of the casings broke when twisting. I need to get that part down, and get the air out of them better. I guess it is a learning process.

I also went to the garden this morning and got some cucumbers and okra. The okra I cleaned and froze. The cucumbers I made some bread and butter pickles, and the wife started one of my families recipes for dill pickles. Hers will actually be canned in jars, mine went right into the fridge.

My husband is getting into this too with my kithenaid. He has always been very fancied by charcuterie and this and homemade cheeses were his first steps toward getting hands on with charcuterie. So here is a tip for getting the air out : use a needle and poke a few holes in the casing. Be careful not to poke too many as this could minimize the integrity of the casing but a few should be just fine.

Also, if you want to save time on the meat prep you can ask your butcher to cut the shoulder for you in chunks and even weigh it out for you. It helps with time management and if you dont have the accurate knives it also hels not tiring out your hands and arms with the cutting.

J

Jessi

I may have over stuffed them. I'm looking into why they were breaking. Some people it looks like put less meat into them. I've seen some people pinch both ends and then twist. All seem to say that is the hardest part. Some trial and error on my part, I may get it down.
Ah yeah, overstuffing would definitely do it. Under-stuffing would look funny and not seem right, but it sure beats having them break constantly while you're trying to figure out the right balance.

jason

Nec timeo, nec sperno
Staff member
My husband is getting into this too with my kithenaid. He has always been very fancied by charcuterie and this and homemade cheeses were his first steps toward getting hands on with charcuterie. So here is a tip for getting the air out : use a needle and poke a few holes in the casing. Be careful not to poke too many as this could minimize the integrity of the casing but a few should be just fine.

Also, if you want to save time on the meat prep you can ask your butcher to cut the shoulder for you in chunks and even weigh it out for you. It helps with time management and if you dont have the accurate knives it also hels not tiring out your hands and arms with the cutting.
Thanks for the tip. I usually poke the air pockets after I stuffed the casings.

I also like the idea of the butcher. The wife made a trip to Sams club this weekend. I spent Sunday cutting up enough pork to fill 5 1 gallon freezer bags, and 1 of beef. Still have chicken to go. Have more casings including hot dogs coming Wednesday.

D

dashboardc33

Nice! The only thing that is coming up in our garden right now is garlic, chives and onions. No cucumbers for us for quite some time yet. You are lucky that it is early may and you can already pick your cucumbers! I am jealous.

M

Mrs. Pirz

Thanks for the tip. I usually poke the air pockets after I stuffed the casings.

I also like the idea of the butcher. The wife made a trip to Sams club this weekend. I spent Sunday cutting up enough pork to fill 5 1 gallon freezer bags, and 1 of beef. Still have chicken to go. Have more casings including hot dogs coming Wednesday.
I feel your pain. My husband made the mistake of not listening to me and not asking the butcher only once, second time around he came home with an armful of chopped up meat, a smile on his face and those eyes that say "you were right." :)

wynters

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.ru

wynters

laterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.ru
navelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.ru
partialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.ru
reinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.rustungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.ru
tappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru