• The bbqgeeks forum is moving to a new server! Posting will be closed until the move is complete.

Grilled Vietnamese Style Grilled Squid

L

Lucas Pham

Give it a try, its really good on a hot summer night.

Ingredients:
3 pounds squid, cleaned**
1 big splash fish sauce*
1 small knob peeled ginger
2 cloves garlic
1/4 bunch fresh cilantro
1/4 bunch fresh mint
1 dash soy sauce
juice of 2 limes
1 tablespoon spicy chili paste*
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar*
** To clean squid: Cut the tentacles off just in front of the eyes, next starting at the tip, use the back of a knife to push all the insides and head out of the tube, the tube can be left whole or cut into rings, wash all parts well and they are ready to cook.

1.Blend all ingredients till smooth in a food processor, it should be a balance of sweet and sour, spicy yet cool. Use a little of the sauce to quickly marinate the cleaned squid before cooking.
2. Prepare a hot fire and preheat the grill before adding the squid.
3. The tentacle's are easy to cook when skewered, place skewers on grill, after about a minute flip and do the other side, repeat with the body tubes, do not over cook or they will become tough and rubbery.
4. Toss squid in sauce and serve, garnish with sliced lime, chopped cilantro and peanuts.
Yield= 4-6 small plates

L

Laurasav

We love calamari so I'm sure this recipe would be quite good to try. I'm not sure about having to clean the actual squid though! Sounds kind of yucky to me as I like having everything kind of done and ready for me to cook! Can you buy squid already cleaned? I've never cooked squid before. It's just something we get as an appetizer at good restaurants.
Your sauce recipe really sounds delicious!

J

Jessi

I actually wouldn't even know where to get squid locally in order to try this. That's the main reason I leave seafood like that to other people. I love eating it, but I just don't have much access. :(

R

rollybooz

This is some authentic Asian styled seafood! Seafood is readily available in most parts of Asia, but I guess if you do not have easy access to them, the frozen versions might work as well just that they probably would lack the natural sweetness that only freshly caught seafood can offer. Having this together with ice cold beers while watching a football match is probably the best combination one can ever ask for a recreational activity!